Representatives from Masorti youth organizations in seven countries – Argentina, Brazil, Chile, France, Israel, UK and USA—helped to plan and execute the seminar which was based at the New North London Synagogue.
The global youth leaders succeeded in educating each other about the uniqueness of each other’s cultures, including their individual country’s Jewish history, youth organization development and their organization’s current operating standards.
Through these strong interpersonal connections, these young leaders hope to develop a shared sense of purpose and mission for NOAM Olami, collaborate on new projects and partake in each other’s educational and programming resources.
• Sessions examined the purpose and the potential of having an international organization, models of Zionist ideology and common ground between participants.
• Participants from each country presented one major project or program that their organization had run, allowing the other partici pants to benefit from their ideas and experiences.
• A Jewish history tour of London led by Rabbi Chaim Weiner, Director of Masorti Europe, emphasized the rapid growth of Masorti Jewish life across Europe and brought to life the Jewish origins of the city.
• The young leaders attended Shabbat services at New North London Synagogue, followed by dinner at Rabbi Jonathan Wittenberg’s home.
• The participants planned and ran an actual activity for 20 youth in NOAM UK’s Meltam Hadracha (Leadership Training) course.
After much debate throughout the various sessions, the young leaders agreed upon the following Mission Statement for Noam Olami:
NOAM Olami is a worldwide coalition of Masorti youth movements which inspires the development of Jewish values including Zionism, Tikkun Olam and Leadership.
The young leaders set up four committees to reach the overreaching goals of Noam Olami. The committees consist of: Mission and Structure; Kesher (Connections); Educational Resources; Joint Activities.
We believe that this seminar represents the best of our young leaders and demonstrates the tremendous potential and impact that a global youth movement promoting Masorti values can have on our future.